A social enterprise (since 2005) that helps bridge gaps between people, cultures and languages in South Africa, and beyond.
Our ETHOS is UBUNTU:
– that we are all deeply connected and inter-dependent in ways that only science and faith and logical thinking could explain 😉
Our METHODOLOGY is:
* creativity * innovation * practicality * fun
- Supported online courses (including Zoom lectures)
- Digital download packs
- live group trainings
- motivational school and company talks
- edutaining workshops on language and culture
Founded by Craig Makhosi Charnock in 2006
- Makhosi learnt isiMpondo (a mix of isiZulu and isiXhosa), as a young adult and is still learning today, thus everything he designs for the learners is tried, tested and tweaked, based on his own experiences and challenges.
- His method of teaching, as found in the Audio CDs (now available as downloads on our store) and manuals has proved to be just the right formula for other adults and teens from all backgrounds taking on a third language, and his courses and audio learning products enjoy popularity with Xhosa enthusiasts around the world.
- For more info on Craig’s talks and performances, please click here: Key Note Speaker
About Babalwa Nyangeni:
Babalwa is from the Eastern Cape, but lives and works fulltime in Cape Town. Babalwa teaches the Newlands evening beginners courses and has been a lead facilitator for UBuntu Bridge since 2008.“Babalwa was really helpful and trained us exceptionally well”. Ruth Layman, Old Mutual. “Babalwa was Brilliant! Enkosi sisi”. Galiema Ait Ouaala, Old Mutual. “It was well presented & Babalwa was such an enjoyable teacher. Classes were fun & enlightening”. Amanda Naidoo, Old Mutual.
About Deon Nebulane:
Deon is a trained and experienced actor who loves the stage and is a natural both in class, and on camera. He is currently studying his Post Graduate Certificate in Education through UCT and has been a lead facilitator for UBuntu Bridge since 2010. “Deon was a great teacher, he made sure I was relaxed and helped me learn very quickly”. Ian M. “Amazing tutoring and facilitation, he really walked us through it patiently and practically” Louis R, Media24. “Deon was fantastic, passionate and committed” Mathilda V
About Happyness Karabo Nokwatu Raselabe:
Happyness teaches isiXhosa to non-mother tongue speakers at UBuntu Bridge and on our YhoXhosa Retreats. She is currently studying towards her masters degree in Forensic linguistics. She likes to read books about African indigenous knowledge, philosophy (esp: Jung), psychology and autobiographies.
She loves cycling, Yoga, hiking, horse-riding and jamming to some good music.
Happyness favourite isiXhosa proverb:
Umzingsi akanashwa (the one who perseveres has no misfortune). She is looking forward to meeting you all and teaching you her Mother tongue!
- Started in 2005, as a social enterprise, with a triple bottom line of people, planet and profit, UBuntu Bridge has brought Xhosa and Zulu language and culture courses in Corporates, Government departments, NGOs, Schools and to adult groups from the general public.
- We train and employ excellent Xhosa facilitators whose energy and enthusiasm inspire and motivate the learners.
- We use innovative and creative video, online training and digital materials to provide learners with convenient, fun and engaging ways to learn Xhosa
- Our materials are known widely as an excellent place to start learning about Xhosa language and culture.
- UB has essentially tried to develop courses for mother tongue African language speakers to teach their own languages as a foreign language. Essentially TEFL but for Xhosa (TXFL) and Zulu (TZFL).