UBuntu Bridge conducts popular and enjoyable classes to help adult learners become comfortable and confident in everyday conversational isiXhosa and isiZulu, through a mix of practical grammar, cultural insights and crucial vocabulary with fun, engaging facilitators.
We conduct isiXhosa in Cape Town and isiZulu in Johannesburg. The content is very similar for both but there are only levels 1 & 2 for Zulu at present.
• There are 3 Levels*, each containing 8 lessons (assessment included). (*Zulu has only two levels)
• Level 1 is a stand-alone introduction that gives learners plenty to digest. It is a basic foundational course to facilitate greater awareness and initiate conversations.
• Most people oft for Level 1 and 2, with Level 3 being for more committed learners.
• Each level’s content is mirrored in an A5 manual, with 2 corresponding Audio CDs that explain and encourage listener participation.
• All three levels would give a learner a thorough and excellent foundation, but requires strong learner commitment.
• Interesting, relevant and insightful culture topics are discussed in each class.
• Each lesson has clear grammatical explanations, with vocab lists, exercises, Lesson Essentials Test, and a relevant sample conversation, making use of each specific lesson’s teachings.
LEVEL 1 Content:
Confident Xhosa/Zulu Essentials (8 classes)
The Level 1 course and CDs focus on the essentials of learning to speak Xhosa including:
– pronunciation and greetings,
– identifying Xhosa people
– appropriate cultural insights
– verb based sentence construction
– “escape sentences” for when things get out of control
– everything required for polite, social and respectful introductions.
Lesson 1: Pronunciation, reading the language and Greetings
Lesson 2: Introduction to Verbs and Prefixes
Lesson 3: Sentence Building Blocks and CRUCIAL 1st Sentences
Lesson 4: Greetings, Names and Appropriate Titles
Lesson 5: Introductions and Pleasantries
Lesson 6: Integration Orals and “Where are you learning Xhosa?”
Lesson 7: Clarification Phrases
Lesson 8: Assessments
Subscribe or use contact form below for updates
LEVEL 2: Confident Xhosa/Zulu Essentials Part 2 (8 classes)
Lesson 9: Negatives and Clarification Phrases cont..
Lesson 10: Past Tense and Negative Past Tense
Lesson 11: Stative Verbs – i am hungry, etc
Lesson 12: Asking/Answering Questions and Future Tense
Lesson 13: Na as and / with / have
Lesson 14: The Recent Past Continuous Tense and Verb extensions
Lesson 15: Remote Past and Personal Details
Lesson 16: Conversation Oral Assessments
By demand or webinars 2018. Subscribe or use contact form below for updates
Lesson 18: Noun Groups Summary
Lesson 19: Applying the Noun Groups
Lesson 20: The Locative – expressing place
Lesson 21: Using Nga – expressing about, by means of
Lesson 22: Object Concords (OC)
Lesson 23: The Subjunctive, the potential and useful constructs
Lesson 24-30: Application and Assessments
Unsure of your Level?:
We prefer people to start with us from scratch and thus sync with our learning style and to make sure there are no gaps in your knowledge. Our style of teaching and what we choose to prioritise is different from other courses, so usually people who have done a Xhosa/Zulu course before, still prefer to start with us again at Level 1. Please read more here: http://www.learnxhosa.co.za/contact/faqs/xhosa-lessons-faqs/
Each level has an assessment. If passed with the following mark, we can award certificates:
Certificate of Competence – Level 1 = 90%
Certificate of Competence – Level 2 = 80%
Certificate of Competence – Level 3 = 80%
Most especially, beyond pieces of paper, you receive an exceptional, inspiring and highly interactive language training experience, and for us the real certificate is the one you create when you speak to someone with the respect and confidence that we aim to instill in you. You will need to request a certificate and collect it/pay for postage.
Whilst 80 or 90% may sound like some mythical and impossible figure from school days, at UBuntu Bridge our assessments are of a standard that is appropriate for our learner’s rate of progress. You are guided and mentored all the way into the assessments and you are given the answers beforehand to learn from and practice or your assignments are reviewed by the teacher with you in class. Most students get close to, if not 100% and the only way for you to fail is if you really don’t bother to learn, in which case your language skills would not be worthy of the certificate anyway. The course is fun and manageable but is about attaining a certain standard as well, and that is why you are coming to do a course with us.
Certifi-Beads are our new visual form of beaded bracelet certification that motivate and inspire learning and speaking after a course.
Those who pass our assessments will receive a PDF or printed certificate as usual on request, but who needs a printed certificate for language proficiency? Language is forgotten if not used regularly! This is our creative and enjoyable solution. More info here
Please select an option from the buttons above.