I have always said that to own your Xhosa, you really need to use it, and there is nothing like experiencing a language in its cultural context. Rural village trips to the eastern Cape are great and a must, but the local townships also offer lovely opportunities to experience the culture, practice your Xhosa, and have fun doing it.
Thanks to the enthusiasm of one of my current students, Mike Gathercole from 2waytravel, we are offering an opportunity for all of you dying to use your Xhosa a little bit more. This Sunday, we will visit his church in Gugulethu, and then head off to Mzoli’s for lunch. Bound to be fun.
– Meet Mike at 9.30 at Montebello, Newlands. Please request map if you don’t know it.
– Car pool and drive together. You are also welcome to go direct.
– Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 082 940 7737 for directions.
– Church is 10h30 – 12h00, then Mzoli’s for lunch, a popular spot.
– Bring R50 for lunch and maybe R15-R20 petrol contribution for whoever you get a lift with.
– Home by 15h00.
– All are welcome. Please RSVP and keep your commitment.